I had recently migrated to wordpress 3.1.2. Ever since this upgrade, the photo dropper plugin refused to work. I googled a bit for solutions but of no avail. Disabling other plugins, reinstalling photo dropper plugin etc did not help. The problem was that whenever I used to enter a keyword and click on search, nothing would happen and result area would remain as a blank page. This problem prevented me from using external photos on my blog for a while.
Thankfully, I have found an excellent alternative which works the same way as photo dropper and is equally easy to use. The plugin name is Foter and is is available as a wordpress plugin for download. Foter is great option to embed creative common photos in you blog. Some of the important features are
- Once you install the plugin and activate it, it will appear on top of your post editor are as follows ( Refer the “f ADD PHOTO” link below ).
- If you want to add any photos to your blog post, just click on the above link and it will open a pop-up where you can choose the desired photgraph using keyword based search.
- The keyword based search would throw up multiple results and you can choose the one you like.
- The attribution information would be automatically added to the photograph.
- If you want, you can even resize the photographs that have been added.
- The search is pretty fast and works well for various keywords.
- For the limited testing I did, results were from flickr.
Following is a sample photograph added using Foter from the keyword “Blogging”
Do try Foter and share your feedback in the comments section. If you know how to make photo dropper plugin work in wordpress 3.X – share the same as well. If you are aware of any better plugins/services – drop a mention in the comments section.